UNESCO UNITWIN PHD WORKHSOP 2022
Heritage, Sustainability & Innovation in Tourism (HSIT)
- Silvia de Ascaniis; Institute of Digital Technologies for Communication of Università della Svizzera italiana - USI, Lugano (Switzerland).
- Emil Juvan; University of Primorska, Faculty of tourism studies Turistica, Department for Sustainable Destinations Development, Portorož, Slovenia.
OBJECTIVE: to provide a discussion forum for PhD candidates at various stages of their PhD studies. More specifically, the workshop will provide a brief opening presentation by workshop hosts, followed by short presentations of PhD workshop attendees and concluded with collaborative search for solutions to challenges/issues/gaps presented by workshop attendees.
Figure 1: PhD workshop structure
TARGETED AUDIENCE: the workshop is suitable for PhD candidates at various stages of their PhD studies on research topics related to heritage, tourism, innovation and sustainability.
FORMAT: the workshop uses a three-stage collaborative discussion format:
- presentation format:
- Stage 1: hosts present 1) key knowledge gaps in heritage, sustainability and innovation and 2) research methodology ensuring reliable and valid knowledge; both needed for ensuring sustainable future and fuelling future research.
- Stage 2: PhD candidates present their research topic, methods used and key challenges/issues or gaps (and solutions used if applicable).
- discussion format:
- participants elaborate on solutions to research challenges, issues and gaps presented by PhD candidates
DURATION: approximately 120 minutes (Wednesday, May 18th, 11:30 – 13:00)
REQUIREMENTS: structured preparation is a key driver of successful workshop. Therefore, PhD candidates must:
- Prepare a 3-minute presentation (power point or similar, 2 slides max.):
- Slide 1: research topic, objectives, research stage
- Slide 2: issues/gaps/challenges (and solutions for candidates nearly completing their thesis).
- Submit the preparation for workshop presentation latest by April 30th via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Collaborate in a friendly and encouraging manner in the discussion section of the workshop.
The best PhD candidate presentation will be awarded!